Monday, December 10, 2012

Slogan Ts

Second hand clothing rules supreme in East Africa and as a consequence there are a lot of amusing/out of place slogans on display.

Some favourites so far:

- a teenage boy wearing a pink and black tee shirt embezzled with "I love Feminists"

- a guy wearing a Chiefs super 15 rugby jersey in my first week in Uganda

- seeing multiple Vancouver 2010 winter Olympic shirts (2012 Olympic gear doesn't appear to have made it to Africa yet)...

The taxis (and matatus in Kenya) and trucks are also almost always decorated with a slogan. The most popular seems to be "God is good".

The funniest one that I have seen (for fellow law geeks) was on a matatu (= taxi van) yesterday which had "The doctrine of stare decisis" written on it! Unfortunately I didn't have time to whip my camera out to capture it. I haven't figured out exactly why a matatu driver would want to make a statement about the common law and doctrine of precedent on his vehicle...

No comments:

Post a Comment