Tuesday, October 30, 2012

New job

When I put the word 'job' in the title to this post I don't mean a job of the paying variety (next paying job very much tbc). Instead, I am going to be changing my volunteering project as of 1 November.

I have loved getting to know the kids at school and doing fun stuff with them (today we made masks, complete with glitter glue=insanity) but there isn't actually heaps for me to do. Largely because the kids have final exams in a couple of weeks which they are busy preparing for.

My new project is also in Mukono so I will continue to live where I currently am. The project is called Empower and Care Organisation (EACO) was started in 2004 by a group of young Ugandan graduates. The organisation aims to provide public health information, and entrepreneurship skills to the people of Mukono District. (The activities are targeted towards vulnerable women, particularly widows and those living with HIV/AIDS, as well as vulnerable children, youth, and the elderly.) They also provide some advice on things like land rights, so maybe I'll even be able to put a bit of my legal training into practise.

In addition to hopefully having stuff to do, I decided to change projects as with this one I will get to travel out into the villages more and see that side of Ugandan life.

I'm a bit sad about my last day at school tomorrow, particularly because 14 of the kids were not at school today as their parents still hadn't paid school fees. I'll definitely have to visit the kids all again before I leave Uganda.

The next posts I have brewing are likely to be on religion (it's a big deal here) and transport (but I need to take some photos to give a sense of the 'taxis' and boda bodas which are my primary means of travel).

No comments:

Post a Comment